[Skunkworks] [OT] About Mental Wellness

Ben M leobenkim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:53:41 EAT 2018

Alvin,
I don't know how to properly respond to the link you just sent me. I'm
taking into consideration this thread is visible to everyone in skunkworks.

Mental health is not a spiritual matter, it is more complex than just
something religious.

It is not demons that are afflicting you when you feel suicidal or get
depressed or suffer from any of the conditions in the spectrum.
Many of the mental issues we have arise because of a complex interaction of
the chemicals in the brain, the environment, genetics and sometimes
medication. This is why no two people show the same exact symptoms of
depression, and also why people don't respond the same to stressful life
events like breakups, loss of a loved one, failure at work, the same way.
Sometimes you don't even need stress factors to become depressed. There are
people out there that seemingly have everything together but in the privacy
of their minds they are a mess and don't understand why they aren't happy.

We need to be real about mental wellness and take religion or any
superstitious beliefs out of the equation especially in the diagnostic
stage.

No I am not saying religion is superstition. Religion can play its part in
the healing process, but it should not be the treatment. You can't pray
away depression or wish it away, you need a psychiatrist to walk you. Where
possible you need anxiety medication to put you in a position you can look
at you life soberly. Sometimes you will need other medication to regulate
the chemicals in the brain.

Ni hayo kwa sasa