[Skunkworks] EVALUATING A TAMPER-PROOF SMS VOTING SYSTEM

Jimmy Thuo jimmy.thuo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 14:52:38 EAT 2017

I have not tested the solution however from the current shenanigans and
mistrust displayed by political position aspirants in the run up to the
upcoming elections, I think i can confidently say that despite it being a
good solution, it will never be accepted in KE

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Oyunga Omamo via skunkworks <
skunkworks at lists.my.co.ke> wrote:

> A tamper-proof SMS voting system can be tested at the number 0706379559.
> Start by sending a small MPESA amount to cover the replies you will get. 10
> shillings allows 30 replies (1 shilling buys 3 replies). Thereafter you
> will get a message indicating further steps. There are mock elections where
> you can test the voting system. At present the demonstration does not use
> USSD. It uses flash SMS messages. You should reply to the message like any
> normal SMS message. This is inconvenient. The USSD software is already in
> the system and USSD will be offered as soon as funds to set up a USSD code
> become available.

> *Sent:* Friday, April 7, 2017 6:36 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [Skunkworks] EVALUATING A TAMPER-PROOF SMS VOTING SYSTEM
>
> Can you share the paper?
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Oyunga Omamo via skunkworks <
> skunkworks at lists.my.co.ke> wrote:
>
>  I have developed a tamper proof SMS voting system
>  that can be used in any election including our national
>  elections. Let me emphasize that I am serious when I say
>  tamper proof. I have published a paper on the system. There
>  are mobile numbers where the system can be tested by
>  arrangement. I would like assistance to organize a workshop
>  to discuss the possibility of electronic voting in Kenya and
>  to expose the system to a wider audience.
> If any one wants to test the system, please inform me through this forum.
>
> George

> http://my.co.ke/phpbb/ viewtopic.php?f=24&t=94
> <http://my.co.ke/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=94>
> <#m_-6346673663917945397_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Best Regards
Jimmy Thuo