[Skunkworks] EVALUATING A TAMPER-PROOF SMS VOTING SYSTEM

Limoke Oscar oslimoke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 11:34:37 EAT 2017

So much for "tamper-proof"

How do you plan to address such issues even  in the simplest of elections?

It is easy to subvert
> ​ SMS​. A
> ttackers with basic target information can easily trick phone companies
> into porting numbers after passing identity checks. This has been used by
> fraudsters to ensure banks' transfer warning SMS never reach victims."

​
Check this;
https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html
https://www.wired.com/2016/06/hey-stop-using-texts-two-factor-authentication/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/06/2fa_missed_warning/​

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Oyunga Omamo via skunkworks <
skunkworks at lists.my.co.ke> wrote:

> A tamper-proof SMS voting system can be tested at the number 0706379559
> <0706%20379559>. Start by sending a small MPESA amount to cover the
> replies you will get. 10 shillings allows 30 replies (1 shilling buys 3
> replies). Thereafter you will get a message indicating further steps. There
> are mock elections where you can test the voting system. At present the
> demonstration does not use USSD. It uses flash SMS messages. You should
> reply to the message like any normal SMS message. This is inconvenient. The
> USSD software is already in the system and USSD will be offered as soon as
> funds to set up a USSD code become available.

> *Sent:* Friday, April 7, 2017 6:36 PM
> *Subject:* Re: [Skunkworks] EVALUATING A TAMPER-PROOF SMS VOTING SYSTEM
>
> Can you share the paper?
>
> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 6:21 PM, Oyunga Omamo via skunkworks <
> skunkworks at lists.my.co.ke> wrote:
>
>  I have developed a tamper proof SMS voting system
>  that can be used in any election including our national
>  elections. Let me emphasize that I am serious when I say
>  tamper proof. I have published a paper on the system. There
>  are mobile numbers where the system can be tested by
>  arrangement. I would like assistance to organize a workshop
>  to discuss the possibility of electronic voting in Kenya and
>  to expose the system to a wider audience.
> If any one wants to test the system, please inform me through this forum.
>
> George

> http://my.co.ke/phpbb/ viewtopic.php?f=24&t=94
> <http://my.co.ke/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=94>
> <#m_7396844262194548233_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Limoke Oscar | t:@oslimoke |f:@oslimoke |gplus: +LimokeOscar|In:oslimoke| T:
+254 717 845 316