[Skunkworks] Bitcoin Meetup: Topic Buy/Trade/Store BTC @iHub Monday 1st December 5:30 PM

Mark Kipyegon mkipyegon at outlook.com
Wed Nov 26 14:40:28 EAT 2014

On 26/11/2014 14:07, Paul Roy via skunkworks wrote:

> 1. Who invented bitcoin? Why is s/he in hiding? If i were the inventor i
> would proudly be associated with BTC in this case the guy went to
> hiding...did he know something or is he/she remaining anonymous avoiding
> legal action from eminent collapse of bitcoin with a few billionaires
> and majority impoverished?

Being an inventor certainly doesn't make you liable for how your
creation is used.

> 2. Ok BTC is popular and they claim over 6 million coins blah...blah...
> have been mined so far. How did this happen? Who are these billionaires
> who spent enormous computing resources to mine bitcoin while the rest of
> the world was asleep?

Resources available online show that even the largest and earliest
miners of bitcoin aren't making returns on the scale that you claim.

> 3. Paypal has a disclaimer on bitcoin trade...do they know something?
> Many governments do not recognize bitcoin and others have even burned it
> as a legal tender

The US Treasury Department and the European Central Bank both recognise
bitcoin as a "virtual currency".I don't understand the point being made
here.

> 4. What's backing this currency? Air?

Physical gold and silver are other examples of currency that isn't
backed (non-fiat) as opposed to fiat currency that is backed by government.