[Skunkworks] OT: Solar power for domestic use

Collins Areba | Tel +254 707 750 788 | twitter @brainiacKE arebacollins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:30:10 EAT 2014

Ndungu after giving empirical data and then giving us something like "quite
less" on the conclusive remarks I feel like looking for you and plucking
hair off your head....

Assuming 5 hours of sun a day (its more but as the sun goes down or up
power is not optimum)

1: You would get 30(watts) x 4 (panels) x 5 (hours) x 30 (days) ==> 18,000
Watt Hours in a Month. or 18 Kilowatt Hours...

2: At an exaggerated 20 bob per Kilowatt hour (its still far less even with
taxes and all), you save Ksh 360 per month off your electricity bill.

Now to recover your costs, including NPV of money and all, it would take
you __________ years to recoup your investments in Power savings.... (25
marks).

sigh <....>

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM, ndungu stephen <ndungustephen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Solar Power would be good to supplement your electricity supply. I did a
> little research:
>
> 2 batteries of 200Ah maintenance free                   = 66k
> 1 Xantrex 2424 inverter                                          = 130k
> 1 Charge controller SUNPOWER10 12v 10amps    =     5k
> 4 solarpanels of 30Watts each                                =  15k x 4 =
> 60k
>
>    ===============
> Approximately
> 260k
>
>    ===============
>
> If by day, you run your fridges and TVs run on Solar. And at night you run
> the appliances by electricity, your electricity bill will be quite less.
>
> Also if you live in a 'high security need' area - you will need backup
> electricity to keep those lights/cctv on and ring the alarms in case of
> anything.
>

> BR/

*“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”*