[Skunkworks] A pre-analysis of Jubilee’s One Solar Laptop per Child Initiative

Martin Chiteri martin.chiteri at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 15:17:53 EAT 2013

I don't mean to troll but I think kids in classes 1, 2 and 3 should be
given an Abaccus so that they learn how to count. You can hardly get a
cooler *first* computing equipment.

I also think the people suggesting an e-book reader for subsequent ages are
on point with mini-laptops coming in much later.

Martin.
On Apr 14, 2013 2:35 PM, "Barrack Otieno" <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> locking could be a possible solution...
>> On Apr 13, 2013 3:39 PM, "Laban Mwangi" <lmwangi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Having thought more about this...
>>> 1. We can give ebook readers to standard 3 kids. (Standard 1 might be a
>>> bit too young for ebook readers)
>>>  + Parents no longer think of buying books from bookshops.
>>>  + Govt can easily buy books for every single child in the country; bulk
>>> buy from publishers and wireless push to e-readers.
>>>  + Kids have a vast array of books to read.
>>>  + Reading culture becomes ingrained at an early age.
>>>  + You can push copyleft books (Classics such as: Around the world in 80
>>> days to wikibooks to creative common books)
>>>  + Eink readers can last for weeks on a single charge.
>>>  + Eink readers are relative cheap. [1]
>>>
>>> 2. At around standard 5, start priming kids for computer basics +
>>> programming basics
>>> 3. At around standard 6. Push netbooks to every single child.
>>>  + Mature age for computer use.
>>>  + Kids at this age probably have an idea about what they want to do.
>>> Providing them with a laptop and Internet use widens their view.
>>>  + Probably give every child a monthly data bundle (say 50mb) that can
>>> be purchased from the govt through telcos.
>>>  + Collate and preload netbooks with videos from khan academy et al.
>>>
>>> Some statistics:
>>> - KCPE candidates[2]: ~800k
>>> - The likely figure of standard one students is probably around 1
>>> million.
>>> - The minimalist ebook reader is going to cost you 90USD [3]. Ballpark
>>> figure for cost of e-readers to students starting with standard 3, 4, 5  is
>>> going to be 3 * 90 * 1e6 = 270 million dollars
>>> - Depending on the build quality, you can get cheap 10inch netbooks for
>>> ~100 USD [4]. Ballpark figures for pushing netbooks to standard 6, 7, 8 is
>>> 3 * 100 * 1e6 = 300 million dollars.
>>>
>>> - Pushing a netbook to every standard 6 student and a eink reader to
>>> every standard 3 student is going to cost the government 40 Billion
>>> shillings (0.5 billion USD). Remember that you have students in standard 7
>>> & 8 who are yet to receive netbooks and students in 4,5,6,7,8 w/out
>>> kindles. Also remember that you have not factored high school/university
>>> students.
>>>
>>> So how do we do this?
>>> 1. Economies of scale for such an order would significantly lower the
>>> prices by 10-30%.
>>> 2. Require that any purchased device be assembled in Kenya. Making at
>>> least 2 million devices per year can jumpstart an electronics manufacturing
>>> segment.  As an aside: I believe that aircraft manufacture frequently uses
>>> this model. Place an order of X and get the tail manufacturing, Y orders
>>> and you get fuselage..
>>> 3. Provide tax incentives for SMT companies that operate in Kenya. No
>>> tax on SMT tech imports, token tax on manufactured devices...
>>> 4. Sell these devices to governments around Africa for a tiny profit.

>>> 1) Above average tech savvy society within 5-10 years.
>>> 2) Newly minted electronics manufacturing segment might be very
>>> lucrative to the taxman.
>>> 3) Helluva lots of jobs from manufacturing, logistics, electronic book
>>> publishing, software industry.
>>> 4) Bragging rights?
>>>
>>> Caveat:
>>> - These are just words. We'd need political backing for this to happen.
>>> I don't know whether our newly minted government is all action and no words
>>> or all words and no action
>>>
>>> 1. http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/e-ink-reader.html
>>> 2.
>>> http://www.jamiiforums.com/kenyan-news/391881-knec-releases-kcpe-results-for-2012-a.html