[Skunkworks] Power Backup - Inverter + battery

Collins Areba arebacollins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 10:32:45 EAT 2012

A UPS is an Inverter charger, probably the cheapest types that youll get in
the market too. A good outback inverter charger, 3KW is about 300K, with
that all you need is to connect an array of deep cycle (Deep cycle
batteries will do you good, they have thicker lead plates and can charge /
discharge "deeper" with less damage than ordinary  car batteries that need
a jerk of current for starting". Thats the Pro option, the time "t" that
you can get off this backup then depends on how many ampere hours you have
stored in the bank.

David's Suggestion is the second best option, caveat however being that
youll need a highly rated enough UPS to meet your peak power need,
otherwise it becomes an issue of switch lights off so that you can run the
microwave... :-( This again depending on reliablity of the UPS can be
scaled up by arranging more and more batteries in PARALLEL to give a fixed
voltage and a limitless current storage.

Last but not least, Buying inverters, batteries and other stuff separately
is not advisable for a SOHO unless youre ready to get your hands dirty and
calculator at hand to calculate a lot of "unexpected surprises", especially
if the kind of equipment you run has things like unprotected motors, etc
etc.

Do report back with your experience, im sure its something people will draw
from for inspiration.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM, David Kiania <kianiadee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Minch,
>
> The best and simplest inverter in the world is a 1+ Kva UPS then yank out
> the batteries and mount larger Chloride Exide batteries. I almost have a
> similar setup but I have installed LED bulbs and lamps.
>
> The house look like a stadium when power goes I am also able to light have
> tele and work for a min of 4hrs.
>
> I also got a lead of a Kenyan guy who fabricates inverters lemme know if
> you need his contact.
>

> Kiania D
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jun 21, 2012, at 12:13, Michuki Mwangi <michuki at swiftkenya.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Has anyone installed power backup solution that is based on an Inverter
> > system with a battery bank. Am looking for a SOHO solution and costs.
> > Additional information such as the load capacity, space requirements,
> > battery types/sizez (maintenance or maintenance free), inverter
> > features, etc would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mich.

*“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”*