[Skunkworks] Cisco decides to Kill Flip

jgitau at gmail.com jgitau at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 22:32:32 EAT 2011

It depends, and yes Kodak had better be dancing, also note cisco didn't
even bother selling that BU, they closed it....

Cisco has been making huge changes, quietly: here's a few (follow the
links):
1: they dropped HP as a partner last year:
http://blogs.cisco.com/channels/ciscos_evolving_partner_landscape/

2: John Chambers memo to staff 'leaked'. April 5, 2011. This outlines bold
changes in how they do their business, where they'll focus etc etc, a bit
late with some changes but still quite bold in accepting their mistakes and
working towards a fix.
http://blogs.cisco.com/news/message-from-john-chambers-where-cisco-is-taking-the-network/

3: the flip: come on that was not to last. I expect the Cius tablet to go
down the same road, the flip lost money!!!, heckphones are taking HD video
and sharing it realtime so i doubt even Kodak are any happier, flip
couldn't cope cisco were out of their depth and they knew it (the flip had
no networking capability,cisco is a networking company:-)), the Cius tablet
cant beat the Ipad, samsung galaxy either. They should drop it now. It's
like mercedes deciding to roll out umm a car for the 'masses' lets call it
a toyota,then over price it. I expect the fancy site with a flashy front to
go too, we (techies) expect a clear,clean documentation site like we were
used to, cisco had a core business, they are losing it to Huawei and other
vendors while chasing what, tablets?,really unsopportable support models?
they should be powering the networks tablets are running on!! I am happy
with the new focus on their core business and customers...so far...

4: the last change that also came late but still a good thing is this:
For a long time, you either had to get the actual cisco routers/switches
etc to learn their cli/OS or grab the IOS from somewhere and run
dynamips/dynagen. However Internally cisco had the capability to run Ios On
Unix (IOU) mainly solaris. As we move along, cisco now has legacy IOS,
IOS-XR, ASA and NX-OS, getting those on emulators for testing/benchmarking
won't be easy for all of us and I can imagine getting certified will become
a bit harder, which means at some point cisco will suffer (HP,juniper et
all are not any better either)...Well cisco finally released the IOU as its
popularly known to their learning partners, heck if you search for it
online you'll get it somewhere...it's what they use for the ccie
(R&S)troubleshooting lab.
http://www.cisco.com/web/go/learninglabs/index.html
https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/vip-perspectives/2011/04/12/cisco-ios-on-unix-labs-are-available-now

JGitau