[Skunkworks] Safaricom modem giving weird IP address

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 09:24:44 EAT 2010

@Job,

NATing was and is still a "hack" to extend the life of IPv4 i.e. as the IPv4 resources started depleting in the late 80s, engineers figured a way to use 1 public IP to serve thousands if not millions of clients through NAT.  This provided some relief but with the following compromise.

a) introduces some unecessary delays/latencies for packets traversing through routers. U wont feel this latency for non time sensitive applications but you definately will with newer time sensitive applications like skype, video and others yet to be discovered.
b) NAT gives a false sense of security for most IT Techies - that my networks is "safe" because someone cant ping a client on the inside; truth is a spammer or a spoofer need not ping your "inside" to wreck havoc on you Network.

And so IPv6 is the answer to both the above two problems. Its address space is "unlimited" and its security is inbuilt (authentication and encryption is not an add-on but designed from scratch). So the sooner Techies adopt IPv6 the safer and more efficient our networks will be.

walu.